The Wall Street Journel (華爾街日報)
(1) 小標題：Airbnb, TripAdvisor and Expedia look to organize the roughly 80% of travel activities now booked offline
(2) 引言：Booking companies and hoteliers are trying to sell travelers more online than just a place to stay, an airline ticket or a car rental. These web-based firms also want customers to purchase experiences such as parasailing excursions, food tours and aquarium adventures.
(1) 小標題：GM’s forward thinking will likely only be vindicated when car sales veer off the road
(2) 引言：Ford was the relative winner in the last car-industry downturn. It looks like General Motors GM -2.83% will be in the next one. It is a pity investors haven’t caught up.
(1) 小標題：Drills aim to prepare crews to handle Indonesia accident scenario on Boeing 737 MAX 8 jet
(2) 引言：Safety regulators and airlines are stepping up efforts to prevent a recurrence of the fatal Lion Air jetliner crash, even as accident investigators continue to examine pilot actions, plane maintenance and aircraft-design issues.
(1) 小標題：Flush with cash, government-controlled shipping and port giants create an uneven playing field
(2) 引言：Ever since nations began moving goods by sea thousands of years ago, shipping has been much more than an instrument of trade. It is a symbol of national power, and for seagoing nations, it must be protected.
(1) 小標題：U.S. nonfarm payrolls increased a seasonally adjusted 155,000 in November
(2) 引言：U.S. employers slowed their hiring in November, but wage growth matched the highest rate in nearly a decade and unemployment held at its lowest level in nearly half a century, signs of an economy that could be losing some momentum at the end of a strong year.
(1) 引言：Uber Technologies Inc has filed paperwork for an initial public offering, according to three people with knowledge of the matter, taking a step closer to a key milestone for one of the most closely watched and controversial companies in Silicon Valley.
(1) 引言：China reported far weaker than expected November exports and imports, showing slower global and domestic demand and raising the possibility authorities will take more measures to keep the country’s growth rate from slipping too much.
(1) 引言：Slack Technologies Inc, a provider of chat and direct messaging services for businesses, has hired investment bank Goldman Sachs Group Inc (GS.N) to lead its initial public offering (IPO) next year as an underwriter, people familiar with the matter said.
(1) 引言：Airbus (AIR.PA) has left itself a slightly less challenging task on deliveries for the final weeks of the year than 2017’s record surge in December, but only after trimming the target with its most recent results, company data showed on Friday.
10. Morgan Stanley upgrades Chinese stocks after “better-than-expected” G20 outcome
(1) 引言：Morgan Stanley recommended buying up Chinese equities on Monday after the weekend’s G20 summit in Argentina produced a 3-month truce in Beijing’s trade war with the United States.
The New York Time (紐約時報)
(1) 小標題：Long-lived and clever parrots may be as different genetically from other birds as humans are from other primates.
(2) 引言：A macaw named Poncho starred in movies like “102 Dalmatians,” “Dr. Doolittle” and “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective” before retiring in England. She recently celebrated her 90th birthday.
(1) 小標題：Shoyna, a fishing village in the frigid far north, is slowly vanishing under dunes that engulf entire houses. For children, home is now a giant sandbox. Adults have to “say goodbye to my high heels.”
(2) 引言：Shoyna, a Russian fishing village on the frigid shores of the White Sea, is slowly vanishing under sand that engulfs entire houses, their roofs just barely visible above the dunes.
(1) 小標題：Puzzle design programs, word databases and web searches to help vet an answer: These are some of the tools that Sam Ezersky, assistant puzzles editor, uses in his job.
(2) 引言：How do New York Times journalists use technology in their jobs and in their personal lives? Sam Ezersky, the assistant editor of puzzles for The Times, discussed the tech he’s using.
(1) 引言：Democrats and Google executives worked arm in arm for years, particularly during the Obama administration. But when Sundar Pichai, Google’s chief executive, testifies before Congress on Tuesday, some of the toughest questioning is likely to come from Democrats.
(1) 引言：Mussolini is invading Italy’s bookstores.
For weeks, Antonio Scurati’s “M,” a doorstop of a novel about the rise of the dictator, Benito Mussolini, has sat on Italian best-seller lists. The book is set to be adapted into a major television series by Wildside, the same production company that is co-producing the HBO series based on Elena Ferrante’s “My Brilliant Friend.” And this fall, it conquered Frankfurt’s book fair, where HarperCollins snapped up the English rights to the book.
The Washington Post (華盛頓郵報)
(1) 引言：It was around 4 a.m. Friday when Jonathan Kealing, bleary-eyed from an all-nighter with his 11-month-old daughter, first noticed the flood of emails into his inbox: from Groupon, the St. Louis Cardinals, a political campaign, a kids’ store.
(1) 小標題：As nations assemble in Poland for climate talks, the figures suggest there is no clear end in sight to the growth of humanity’s contribution to climate change.
(2) 引言：Global emissions of carbon dioxide are reaching the highest levels on record, scientists projected Wednesday, in the latest evidence of the chasm between international goals for combating climate change and what countries are doing.
(1) 引言：Oil prices spiked and stocks dove Friday as uncertainty roiled global markets.
The Dow Jones industrial average slid 559 points, or 2.2 percent, to 24,388 on a disappointing jobs report Friday morning that seemed to cement worries that an economic slowdown is ahead.
(1) 引言：WASHINGTON — The dramatic arrest of a Chinese telecommunications executive has driven home why it will be so hard for the Trump administration to resolve its deepening conflict with China.
In the short run, the arrest of Huawei’s chief financial officer heightened skepticism about the trade truce that Presidents Donald Trump and Xi Jinping reached last weekend in Buenos Aires, Argentina. On Thursday, U.S. stock markets tumbled on fears that the 90-day cease-fire won’t last, before regaining most of their losses by the close of trading.
(1) 引言：Almost every year, my office’s holiday party is scheduled to take place the weeknight before my biggest deadline of the year. And, as before, I’m planning on skipping the party. Apparently, this annoys some of my co-workers, who in previous years have sent me all-caps emails urging me to attend.